1.17.2009

Some goals

I don't know if you can really call these New Year's resolutions, but I've decided a few things in the past week/month.

First, I have been thinking for the last two years that I would like to run a marathon. It is probably number one on my ultimate life goals list because it is such an intense process of training and dedication. Completing a marathon is something I would really like to say I've accomplished and I believe that it would help me get into a better habit of health. The only problem is that there aren't a lot of great races in Nevada and if there are any they are usually on a Sunday :( . I've been so accustomed to Utah where there are so many good races like the St. George Marathon, Top of Utah ( in Logan) and the Salt Lake Marathon. I really wish I had taken advantage of those opportunities when I was living there. I've heard that the Top of Utah Marathon in Logan is the best marathon for first timers since a lot of the track is down hill. That would be nice. So... I've been thinking about this for a really long time, but I think this is the year when I am going to make this happen :)

Second, just this week I've decided that I want to really work on getting more fiber in my diet this year. You may be thinking, fiber? Of all the things to make a goal about... fiber? Well, this is a non-generic goal I can make that is associated with many health benefits. Increasing fiber is a great way to increase your health. Fiber rich food include vegetables, fruits, whole-grain products, and legumes. So why is fiber so good for you?

- For one thing, fiber is extremely hard to separate from the contributions of other nutrients. Most foods with significant amounts of fiber like legumes, whole-wheat bread, strawberries, and brocolli are packed with essential nutrients and carbohydrates. These foods are packed with antioxidants which help fight free radicals and vitamins and minerals. Foods with fiber often have less fat too.

- Another thing that you might associate fiber is regularity. Fiber holds on to water, helping to soften and add bulk to waste in the intestines which is a really good thing! It helps stools pass through the intestinal tract more quickly with normal frequency and ease. I know I might be losing some of you here on the interest factor, but think of this... the slower waste moves through your intestinal tract the more time it has for potentially harmful substance to come in contact with the intestinal wall. Bulkier stools (with the aid of fiber) help dilute the concentration of potential carcinogens and help keep the pH at a level that reduce intestinal microbes to produce carcinogens. That is why fiber is so closely linked/associated with the prevention of some cancers especially colon cancer.

- Fiber rich food help keep you body trim too! Just think about it often they are lower in calories, fat, added sugars, and they're less energy dense. With their added bulk they help you fill fuller sooner, so you eat less. Fiber itself isn't fattening or provides any calories because it isn't digested!

- For people with Diabetes fiber helps to control the rise of blood sugar level after eating. For some, fiber may help reduce the need for insulin, or medication. It is wise for some to help manage diabetes with soluble fiber such as legumes (dry beans) and oats in combination with an overall healthfun eating plan. Wow... imagine that, a healthy diet can help us manage chronic diseases! Who would've thought? Did you know that the leading cause of death which is Heart disease in America is ironically nutrition related? Think RAW foods.

- Which brings me to my next point... some soluble fibers may help lower the level of total blood cholesterol, mainly lowering LDL cholesterol, or "bad" cholesterol. Fiber acts as a sponge, binding cholesterol rich bile acids so they aren't reabsorbed and passed as waste. * you need to eat a lot of fiber for heart healthy benefis about 3 g per day (i.e. 1 1/2 c cooked oatmeal)

With all these benefits how much do we need? The average American (with all of our refined grains, while bread, blah blah blah and eating so many refined foods in general..) we only consume about 14 grams per day. The recommended amount is 38 grams for men up to age 50 and 25 grams daily for women. After age 50 the recommended amount is less. However more than 50-60 grams of fiber a day is too much! Moderation in all things right? Although for most of us this isn't a problem. If you are following the MyPyramid food guidelines you can get all that you need. This means we can all strive to get more fiber and when you're trying to increase fiber you will inadventantly increase your intake of fruits, vegetables, and whole-grains!

Whew... sorry about that. Sometimes I really get on a nutrition kick, but mostly because I would like to learn more on a certain subject. There is so much information I should really start a separate blog for this kind of thing so thanks for bearing with me this one time. Really I feel like I bore everyone with this information, but like I said I just get on these kicks. For more information read the Complete Food and Nutrition Guide by Roberta Larson Duyff who I can atribute most of the information.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Marathon = Silver State Marathon end of Aug.

Fiber = TL;DR

Savannah said...

I LOVE FIBER! No wonder they placed us together as roommates those many days ago! They knew we were both destined to become fiber addicts!

NatashaN said...

Plus, fiber like beans is inexpensive. Have you tried using bean flours? I put beans in my wheat grinder that makes a good flour to use in baking, thickening sauces, and making re-fried beans.

Katie said...

Love the nutrition kick! I can totally relate...I love fiber rich foods...you know me and my bran flakes, etc.!!