6.18.2012

New skill: down stairs!

Asher hasn't quite mastered this yet (for instance he fell down the front step yesterday) but two days ago he learned to go down backwards on the back patio. Yea! This is major progress! I'm excited about it because our back patio is a concrete pad that has a step to get in or out... so far it's been pretty scary since Asher didn't know how to get down (until now) and he fell down one or two times right under my supervision no less. Let me just add that no matter how determined you are to prevent falls or boo boo's they are unavoidable.

On a side note: Drew finished his classes for his Marriage and Family Therapy degree (on to internship!) and is also out of school for the summer so he is now home 100% of the time. I'm loving it. This is the life we've been dreaming of for years, since we were engaged even, when Drew would have a job the would allow him to be with his family during all school holidays and breaks and around 4pm everyday and all summer! I can't complain about that! However, the road to get here has been hard, and it's just going to get harder once Drew starts his internship and will be working full time in the fall. Eventually he will be able to work as a school counselor AND see clients in practice to supplement his workload.

Anyway, Drew and I and Asher were outside and Asher was on the step near the door. I was about to pick him up and set him down on the pad when Drew stopped me and said, "Wait, wait, wait, he is learning, let him figure it out." I guess Drew is teaching him how to go down backwards because I gave up a few weeks ago (I've decided that Asher just wasn't ready then). I think Drew in general is more willing to let Asher take more risks than I am, and that isn't entirely a bad thing. While we were both there encouraging Asher to step down it still didn't click so Drew helped him put a leg over the edge to feel the solid ground beneath and slowly show him how to go down backwards.

The next day it just clicked and he started bending down, turning around, and tentatively putting a foot down below and getting down by himself! I was so amazed and excited I started to give him lots of praise. What this one skill has done for my fluttering panicked heart every time he walks up to a ledge now! I at least know he can do it and I am confident that he won't get too hurt.


No comments: