9.02.2011

Once again faithful readers...

The odd thing is my last post was exactly one year ago. And I'm going to write about the same thing again. So that can mean only one thing- BYU FOOTBALL IS BACK! Tomorrow, the Cougars take on some southern fruits, then the week after they play some no-bodys from Texas. And after that, they take on the little-brother-complexed losers from the north (who, by the way, just beat an fcs team by a whopping 17 points). In reality, the Cougs should be better than last year, but when you think about last years team, being better than that doesn't say a whole lot. The most exciting part about this year is that most of the games are on ESPN so I have a great chance to watch more games this year. All in all, look for the Cougars to be a much improved team.

On a more serious note, since I never blog (seriously, once a year is like never) I should perhaps write a bit about life from my perspective.

I just started working a real job, one I have been preparing for with so many years of school. Once the school district finally posted the school counselor jobs, which was July 29, it was a venerable smorgasbord of job opportunities! 30 opening appeared for school counselors, though not all were standard contracts, and many were half time only. As time passed, and I attended interviews occasionally only to come to the same result (no job), I became very disappointed, and very disillusioned with the whole process. Finally, on the last opportunity possible, I was offered a job at a great elementary school in south Reno. The down side is it is only a half time position, and I am still seeking another half time to pair it with to go full time with a standard contract. Apparently, most of the jobs were spoken for before they were already posted. So the jobs I interviewed for I stood no chance of getting anyways. I feel sorry for my non-bilingual classmates.

Even though I only make half the money I expected, and don't have benefits at all, it is still a great job at a great school with great staff as support. I feel very welcomed and included even though I am fresh out of school with no "experience".




No comments: