Last Wednesday Drew began to feel very ill. He began with feeling very tired, fatigued, a cough that turned into a high fever, aches, and chills. I felt so bad for him, but for the most part I thought he just had the flu and needed fluid and rest. I was so thankful that Drew did not have any work (he had already worked his max hours Mon, Tues, and Wed) and no school because of spring break. I know that Drew thought this was a huge bummer, but I couldn't think of a better time to get sick. You can stay home with time to recuperate without worrying about school or work. I went Thursday and Friday and when I would come home his condition was not getting better and he had such a high fever. His fever broke Saturday morning... I thought this was great, he's getting better. No dice. Later that day his fever returned and he was taking so much medicine with no results. Same thing happened on Sunday. We finally came to the realization that this wasn't going to go away without some help and we decided to take Drew to the student health center. We would have gone earlier, but the health center was closed over the weekend, just bad timing :( On Monday Drew did not sleep all that night, his fever never broke and by this time he had had a fever for 4-5 days. I dropped him off before work at 7:45am. I made it to work just in time and I went and picked him back up at 9:30am when Lisa could take over the front desk for me. While the doctor was not able to do any official tests they started Drew on antibiotics for Pneumonia. He also got some codeine and an inhaler. After reading about Pneumonia here all of his symptoms were spot on. He still did not go to classes or work for the next week, but he is much much better although he still has a lingering cough.
I really wish we could have gotten him to the doctor on Friday afternoon and maybe he wouldn't have been sick for so long. Anyhow... the most frustrating and sad part of this ordeal is how much I wanted to baby and take care of Drew, but he really did not want much. He was so fatigued and had absolutely no appetite. I was trying to make meals and soup, but when Drew is sick he really just wants nothing and he seriously did not eat for a week. All he could keep down was a banana a day. I am such the opposite when I am sick because I want to be babied. And now I realize why I don't get babied when I am sick because Drew is just the opposite. Anyway, I am just glad that he is interacting with his environment again!
By the way, we finally bought a new laptop! We've had the money set aside for some time we just didn't find a deal we liked. Our last laptop lasted almost 4 1/2 years! That's pretty good in my book! Also, our taxes are officially done and I'm starting to realize (after two years of owing the government money) that you don't get refunds without children.
1 comment:
Woohoo! Have a baby!! =D
I am glad Drew is feeling better. Sounds like an awful week. =(
Post a Comment