
Well, it's been official for a couple of weeks... WE'RE GOING TO ITALY! In exactly two weeks that is. The last three weeks have been the most hectic weeks of the whole year and I've been frantically trying to prepare for our short-notice trip. Technically we've been trying to plan this trip for over a year, but there really isn't a convenient time to travel when you work full time, attend graduate school full time, or are poor college students (kinda like having kids eh?) and I'm sure timing will only get worse. Finally we just had to lay all our excuses aside and grasp this opportunity of a lifetime! We are so excited to go see my sister Vanessa, Dan, and their family in Aviano. We'll also be seeing my sister Erika and her husband Layne while they are visiting.
Lately, I've been hashing out all the logistics and it's been wearing me out, but it will be worth it. Truly though, you may be wondering, how in the world we are funding this trip? Good query! We have been scouring our apartment for things to sell and it will help us tremendously for some spending money while we're there. Who knew there was all this money lying around our apartment? While this has been a blessing we have truly have been blessed with our work and school situations to be able to go on this awesome trip and to have such amazing employers! I could never have been able to go if it weren't for Dr. Aland and his wife Lisa! Thank yoU!
Top destinations of interest we are excited to visit on our trip:
Venice
Slovenia
Vatican City: Sistine Chapel
Colloseum
Galleria Borghese
A jabillion fountains, so I hear
Italian markets, and authentic pizzerias
We also plan to rent a Moped in Florence to tour the little countryside. I am really looking forward to that! Funny how earlier this year I read The Monster of Florence. It totally freaked me out concerning Florence. Now all I think of when I hear of Florence is this serial killer.
Does anyone have any good advice for things "must see" in Italy while we are there?We'll be there for about 12 days. I know time will just fly by!
Another reason why I've been so busy lately is because my uncle Dan, his two boys plus friend stayed with us last weekend while they were here for the Reno Air Races. I've never been, but I guess it was cool enough to come down from Boise. We don't have much space in our little apartment, but the four of them did marvelously on the floor. I hope it wasn't too bad! :)
I've also started a cycling class that runs on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Drew gets to be in a lot of softball leagues, and church football, and church basketball so I joined this class as my own little outlet. It's been a lot of fun and my butt has only now just started to forgive me over the three hours of torture each week.
And then, on the 18th of September I finally submitted my application to UNR's Dietetic Internship. I am so nervous, but I am so glad I got it done! It was so much work putting together my application packet, bleh, I really hope I get it so I never have to do it again. But I am sure I will not get in since the odds are so low... they only accept like two to three students in Reno, two or three go to Vegas. I feel so accomplished all of a sudden. Like my degree really may not be such a waste and at least I am trying! Even if I don't get accepted it feels good to be pursuing a career again. I've truly missed having a goal in sight :)! Needless to say, life has been so busy!
Love you all!
Ciao
4 comments:
Have a wonderful holiday in Italy..
all the best
chao
I am SOO happy for you! And maybe just a touch envious! ;) What a trip of a lifetime! Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pictures!
When it comes to planning a vacation, Italy is a big place. It's like going to Disney World: you can't see it all in one trip.
So, um, definitely pizzerias. But also the pasticcerias (they make baked goodies) and the panetterias (regular old bakeries) and the trattorias (tiny little restaurants). You'll like the trattorias more than the big overblown restaurants.
If you go to Milano, there's this little place on Piazza Duomo, around the back, that makes the best panzerotti in the world. Adam and Liz McMurtrey can give you exact details on how to get there.
If you have a chance, get up into the lake country. Lago di Garda is nice, and so is Lago Maggiore, but my favorite is still Lake Como. (sigh)
Buon viaggio! Have lots of fun!
Ryan and Courtney Brown (Jonathan's cousins on the Wait side) lived in Italy, Florence I think, for over a year. You should talk to them about it. I'm sure they have some great suggestions. You can find the link to their blog on my blog. I don't have her email address but I'm sure if you left a message she'd have some good ideas. I'm so jealous you guys are going! It is definately harder with kids! Have fun!!!
Post a Comment