9.11.2008

Book Club


Tonight I went to my first Book Club meeting. I have a confession to make, I always read the books that the current Relief Society, or public library book club is reading, but I never ever go to the discussion. Is it fear? Well, partly... I guess you could say that I love to read, but I don't know what to expect by going to a book club. This is what I've discovered.

Book Club = Very Opinionated Women

To tell the truth I hardlly said a word because 1. the book we were discussing was Breaking Dawn and 2. I hardly had the chance to yell over all the other very opinionated women in the room and 3. I love Breaking Dawn, but I'm not the one to get into a sappy discussion about how romantic so and so part was ... I would rather discuss deeper meanings of a book. So you should know that I didn't go because of the book that was being discussed, but because I'm new in the ward and I love books and I thought I might as well get to know more people in the ward. In the end I came to a more solid conclusion:

Book Club = A Good Excuse for a Girls Night Out


My first ever Book Club turned out to be 2 hours long. The first hour was talking about the book, eating, and introducing next month's book. The second hour was just chatting, laughing, and having fun. I didn't know a single person before I went, but I stayed so long becuase by the end I felt like I was sitting there with a group of my best friends just talking... and of course the main subject was books. I had a lot of fun and I think I will enjoy going again. I would even say that I would enjoy being in this ward for the rest of my life. I've never been in a ward so accepting, loving, friendly, and outgoing. This is truly a special ward... I love it.

I did learn some things that I never knew, like what the cover means so it was still enlightening. It was also fun to connect with people who love to talk about books as much as I do (I don't know why that was surprising though?)


2 comments:

Allie said...

Haha I'm glad you had a good time even if you didn't get many words in. But discussing Breaking Dawn must have been extra intense! I can't imagine being in the same room with crazed, opinionated Twilight fans!

Savannah said...

I spoke prematurely in my blog, we still need to go camping! Will sometime in October work for you? We were just called to do the Road Show for our ward and it is supposed to be in October, but word is it may be moved back till November 1. Once I find out we can schedule something for sure. I'm glad you had such a good time at your book club! My friend and I were asked to start one for our relief society... and nobody came! Haha but that's how we became friends! Miss you!