I had my 17 week appointment last week and then at the beginning of week 18 Drew went in with me for my ultrasound (last Wednesday)! I must admit that I've been so anxious for this appointment and it did not disappoint! Our sonographer was the nicest man and was very friendly and funny. He kept making me laugh during the ultrasound as we were able to see our little baby. I think this was also special for Drew to be there with me and he was able to "see" baby. Ever since the ultrasound he now says good night to baby each night and talks to my belly now. I guess it helped him visualized better and I've seen a definite change in him. We received several pictures and we were also told that our baby was very "photogenic". I am happy that he/she was cooperative during the whole session. Good baby!
We specifically asked the sonographer to not tell us the gender... yet. He took the pictures and typed the results on the ultrasound then printed out three copies and put them in an envelope and sealed it up. One copy for us and a copy for each of our parents. We are going to open up the results on Christmas morning! Needless to say we are looking forward to Christmas morning like anxious little kids! We can hardly wait to find out the results. As of right now the envelope is sitting on our table and we are exhibiting as much restraint as possible not to rip it open. Discovering the sex of our baby is the only Christmas gift we are giving each other this year and I think it is going to be the most meaningful Christmas present we can give. I love Drew so much and giving me the power to become a mother is the most precious gift he could give me.
In other very big news Drew decided to continue his education at UNR and work towards a second Masters Degree is Marriage and Family Therapy. Which is... coincidental because my dad received his BS in Psychology from BYU just as Drew did and then went on the get a Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy (eventually going back to school and getting a second Masters in Engineering). I never imagined that Drew would go down the same educational path as my father minus the engineering part. Drew just presented this idea to me a few weeks ago and the more we have talked through it the more we have attached ourselves to this outcome. This degree will allow Drew the opportunity to go into private practice without attaining a PhD and going to school for another 5 years. In reality it is the most economical and efficient to reach his educational goals and do something he will love (and be phenomenal at). The really wonderful thing is that the credits he has attained with his current degree will also double count towards a MFT degree. He will only have to do one more year of classes and then an additional internship. Starting this spring he will take additional credits and apply for counseling jobs in Reno. Assuming he receives a position in Reno he will work full time while taking credits at UNR and night classes. His professor has been very supportive and also has student who is in the same situation who is working full time as a counselor and currently doing his internship hours at the same time. Of course I am very concerned that he may be overwhelming himself, but he is a hard worker and the sooner he completes the work the faster and sooner it will be over. We are a team and it will take extreme effort on both of our parts to raise a brand new baby during this time, but we are willing and committed to making it work! If he were to try and get a second degree anywhere else (i.e. if we were to move) then he would have to start over from square one taking another three years to complete!
The only frustrating part of this plan is my plans to return to school. I had a very good feeling about returning to school about a year ago but knowing that we were moving in a year I denied any of this feelings and decided to focus on work since I couldn't start a education program that may take more than 2 years when we were planning to move could I? Then all of a sudden we are planning to be here for -at least- two more years and it turns out I could have been working towards my own goals (even if just part time) this whole time! I feel I've turned my back on promptings or inspiration I may have had and now returning to school seems even more impossible since I am due to have a child in May! However, I am extremely motivated and I know that school will eventually make a comeback as an important part of my life. My patriarchal blessing speaks of school in a way that I know I will attain more education as long as I am willing to work.
For Christmas we are going to Colorado :) Drew and I have not spent a Christmas in CO since we were married as hard as that is to believe and I am excited to partake in some of our own Taysom traditions :) I love the spirit that this time of year brings and the love and peace it brings. This Christmas has been very special as we have been especially able to focus on family and intangible gifts instead of monetary ones. I hope you all have a wonderful warm fuzzy holiday season!
1 comment:
Oh I can't wait to find out the gender of your little one! How FUN! You are so patient to wait until Christmas. That would be SO SO hard! I'm also happy for you that you get to go to Colorado this year! It would be hard to be away from my family for Christmas that many times! I've only not had Christmas with them once, and it was awful! Have a very Merry Christmas!!!
Post a Comment