Today was my day off and though Drew had class at 4pm we were able to sleep in and then go out and play a bit. On our way home from Winco and Best Buy I asked Drew to stop at JoAnn's because I wanted to get fabric. He asked me why I wanted fabric and I told him that I wanted to make a blanket. After looking a different fabrics and being an indecisive as I am he turned to me and said, "Do you even know how to make a quilt?"
Ouch! That was such a blow! I just laughed and said, "I think my mother would have taught me better than that!" After all, she is the most accomplished quilter I know! Although I can't blame Drew. How would be know? Sometimes though I feel that quilting is in my blood. How could I fail with a little persistence?
However, I've never really taken a keen interest in sewing and quilting my whole life until recently. My mom taught me how to use the sewing machine, how to thread, and walked me through some of my own tedious projects. I went to countless fabric stores and I couldn't quite understand why all mom wanted for gifts were fabric store gift cards. Mom spent every spare moment sewing and now I can more fully understand that it was more than her passion, but also her legacy. Quilting was such a prominent hobby in my home growing up that I was proud to stay away. I didn't take the initiative to learn and I didn't have the patience for quilting, all the work, and slow progress. Now I can't think of anything else but wanting to own my own sewing machine and think of all the years I wasted when I lived with my mom and could have learned so much. SO much knowledge and experience at my finger tips and tools galore too.
Anyways, I'm starting my first independent project! A blanket. Someday I'll have a machine of my own and I am so much more interested than I've ever been before. Growing up a little more I want to have something to pass on to my children and I want to have a hobby and talent that I'm proud of. I have a lot to learn, but I hope one day I can attempt to make a quilt as beautiful as the ones my mom produces!
1 comment:
Haha at Drew! That is awesome that you are taking the time to make a blanket! Post pictures of your progress!
Post a Comment