Now that I work in a dentist's office I can say that I've been feeling a lot of peer pressure. It's not bad in the least, but the first day I started working on my own in the office I noticed that all the assistants and the doctor brush their teeth once they get to work in the morning and also after lunch. I started to feel odd because I was the only one not brushing my teeth after lunch and I've just been brushing my teeth at home.. ya know... after breakfast. I'm usually in a rush though so I don't know if I'm getting a "quality" brushing. It's not like I keep a toothbrush at work anyways.
Today was really slow so the doctor came to the front and said, "Come on back and we'll give you a cleaning." I was really happy to be getting a cleaning since I haven't seen a dentist since before Drew and I were married, but I was scared too. I was scared that the doctor would see how shamefully I've been treating my teeth, see all my secrets, knowing I haven't been good at flossing. Have I told you how many times Dr. Aland has asked me if I floss everyday? A lot. And every time I just kinda laugh and shrug my shoulders and don't give a straight answer. Before my cleaning I was wondering what kind of purging I could do before he got a peak in my mouth. We have mouthwash in stock so I started getting a small cup... then the doctor told Shelby (the assistant) to get me a toothbrush and some toothpaste and then he made this comment like, You should have one at work anyways. So... I'm giving in. I have my own brush and toothpaste at work and now instead of being happy with brushing twice a day, it's now up to three times a day. I've given in to peer pressure and no longer is a piece of gum after lunch adequate!!
My first week of work, Shelby, who is also new needed to practice x-rays on an adult. She only works on Mondays and Wednesdays and for some reason she has only done x-rays on children. So I got a full mouth x-ray and today my cleaning! I'll have to say that working there has scared me so much about getting old and losing my teeth. I know if I saw half of the things they saw I would never neglect my teeth again.
I also booked an appointment for Drew to get a cleaning tomorrow as well. I'm most excited to bring Drew to work with me. It'll be fun!
Random things concerning work:
* If you're going to work in a dental office or health care in general for that matter you need to have good, neat, legible handwriting. It's my biggest pet peeve when I'm looking at important information and I can't read the previous secretaries handwriting. Ya know those girls who write real big and bubbly!? Ahh, I hate it!
* I like investigating accounts like I'm a CSI agent. Today I resolved an unpaid account from April. I had to call 4 different insurance companies and completely start over from square one verifying insurance, confirming SNNs, but in the end I found out that the claims have been sent to the wrong company for the last 6 months. I re-submitted the claim and insurance should pay 100%. I feel that my pay is justified when I find money for the practice like that. Yea!
ALSO,
I wanted to give the results of the pumpkin poll!
Everyone's favorite pumpkin was the goblin which was carved by Drew!
Julie did the pumpkin face, Bob did the grim reaper, and I did the spider in the moon.
Drew wins!
3 comments:
Dear Christina,
You're a good writer, and you are also very funny! : ) I love reading your blog!
Love,
Savannah
PS> Yes, I know I'm a dork! : )
come on christina, what is wrong with you! You need to be brushing your teeth every hour on the hour, i'm disgusted with you :). ohh how i miss working with you!
I hope your boss appreciates how hard you are working at tracking down money owed to his practice! Good job!
ps. glad to hear you are brushing more. Your writing is so entertaining!
Post a Comment