5.16.2008
Eye goop
Yesterday I had a Chalazion removed from my eye. It's a big cyst that grows on the eyelid, composed of white and yellow stuff. it had been there for almost 3 months before the doctor would take care of it. So, sitting in the chair, the doctor first puts some numbing drops in, them he gives 5 shots of a numbing agent, I don't know which, into the eye lid. Possibly the most painful thing I've experienced besides teeth extractions. Then, some numbing compound under the eyelid, applied with a q-tip. Then some more drops, then a few more shots, and some more compound. Finally, after about 10 minutes, he's ready to go in. He uses a clamp to grip the eye lid, flips it inside out, then makes an incision under the eye lid. he scoops out the crap, uses 2 q-tips to clean it out real nice, then he's done. That whole process took about 60 seconds, maximum. It wasn't all that bad, but the shots hurt like crazy. Today, there's still some redness, and some swelling, and my eyes are constantly leaking eye goop. If you want to know more, look it up on wikipedia. It's interesting stuff. Overall, it wasn't too bad. I'd say the worst part was having to wait for an hour in the doctor's office before I could see him. So if you ever have a Chalazion, fear not, because it's not that bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like your chalazion came out well. We see them all the time in the office, and you're right ... getting that numbing medicine (usually lidocaine) is the worst part.
Here's a video of a draining chalazion if you're interested:
chalazion movie
This one drained spontaneously, though.
Post a Comment