4.24.2008

Commencement Day

I am posting a lot because so much is going on that I know I will never catch up if I don't. Today was commencement. College convocations will be tomorrow at 11:00am in the Marriot Center for me. I have to apologize to all of my family because I made invitations, but I haven't sent them out yet. I knew that most people could not come, but I am still sending out invitations! This morning I got up and went to the Maeser Building for a Dietetics department picture at 11am. I am excited to get the 5x7 pic from the photographer. At 12:00 the Dietetics program reception start which included a slideshow, a song, and a little blurb about each student. I thought it was really well put together and afterwards Dr. Nyland read "Oh, The Place You'll Go!" by Dr. Suess. Wow, Dr. Suess really knew what he was talking about. Refreshments followed afterwards with some fruit and eclairs so we could all mingle. We decided to go out to lunch to Yamoto which is a fun authentic Japanese place and had some sushi. We half went out because I am graduating and half because it is Allison's birthday on Tuesday.

I had to line up for commencement at 3pm and it all started at 4pm! We walked up the paths to the Marriot and walked in during the processional. I didn't think I would be so excited for graduation, but I really was! The ceremony was very quick. Elder Bednar was the commencement speaker after our degrees were conferred upon us and he said that his gift to us today was to give us a short speech since most people never remember what was said at their graduation anyways. Elder Bednar went on the speak about a love of learning. He spoke on learning and said that learning is an essential principle for this world and for the world to come. I wish I had a paper and pencil to take notes because as I am typing I am remembering less and less, but I felt that his speech was very good and full of the spirit. I am happy that he was short and although it was a cold day I had so much fun and after we got out of the Marriot Center the sun came out and it warmed up and was so sunny.


The whole day was good. Drew came to my reception, but he didn't want to go to commencement. I asked him and begged him to come a couple of times, but I think he felt that it would be a long boring ceremony. I think not having Drew at commencement to support me was the only downside to the day and it hurt my feelings. The nice thing about commencement is that you can sit with anyone you want. I sat in the middle of Amber and Heather which I wouldn't have any other way. Most of the Dietetics students all sat together and we were in the very front of the line for Life Sciences so we were only five rows up! We were very close. When I got out of the Marriot Center I had the chance to walk down to the RB where Drew was going to pick me up. I couldn't help thinking of how beautiful campus looked in the evening sun and how much I loved being at BYU. It was definately the right place for me to go and I am so happy about all of my experiences there even though there were a lot of hard times. Basically I have found that it takes me a little time to adjust to new things and times have been so wonderful here so far that I am sad to leave, but I am also excited to start anew in Reno don't get me wrong. I think you can be happy anywhere. It's all what you make of your time.

No comments: